Tuesday, November 4, 2008

BlackBerry App Store: Too Little. Too Late.

Just like I was saying, RIM *is* afraid. They're opening their App Store.

In March 2009.

Let me see, that'll be roughly five months after Android Market was launched, and I don't even care to count how many months after Apple's App Store.

That might just as well be the definition of "irrelevant".

They were caught off guard.

Twice.

Difficult to say what the corporate blokes were thinking all this time - the best explanation I can come up with is that they (correctly, I should say) didn't see iPhone as a threat to their business model (mostly corporate clients with thick wallets and expensive long term contracts), but totally underestimated the momentum that Android has created.

I don't think this is going to save RIM in the long run. The rules of engagement are pretty simple: lead, follow, or get out of the way.

They can't lead anymore.
They don't want to get out of the way.
The only choice left is follow.

Go ahead and release Android core on your platform already, I'd be the first to buy the result.

No comments:

Post a Comment