Monday, February 28, 2011
Saturday, February 26, 2011
Let's take a brief look at permissions The Weather Channel application requests.
- Services that cost you money: Send SMS messages - Who is the application going to send SMS messages to?
- Services that cost you money: Directly call phone numbers - What numbers is it going to call?
- Your location: Coarse (network-based) location - All right, I understand it wants to know where I am to tell me what the weather is.
- Your location: Fine (GPS) location - Why does it want my exact location? Oh, I see, to show me ads. Thanks, but no thanks, you guys can easily do the same using just coarse GPS location.
- Your personal information: Add or modify calendar events and send email to guests - What? Excuse me? Why would Weather Channel want to intrude into my calendar, and, worse, send emails to guests?
- Your personal information: Read calendar events - This one even seems benign in light of the previous one, but still - why?
- Storage: Modify/delete USB storage contents, modify/delete SD card contents - Again - why? I can guess that it wants to cache data, but surely not as much that it requires special permissions to USB storage and SD card?
Note that the detailed explanation of why these permissions are required is not available from the developer (at least as of the moment of writing).