There's no TL;DR, read it if you care to compare it with my counterpoint, which is pretty simple:
- A long term full time employee is a known variable.
- Freelancers and contractors are the unknown.
- The more is known, the less uncertainty.
- The more uncertainty, the more risk.
- The more risk, the more threat.
- The more threat, the more contingency.
- Somebody has to pay for the contingency.
- Business can't pay the contingency, it has to be profitable.
- That leaves only one party that can be held responsible for paying.
That party is *you*, the customer.
Note that pay is not necessarily monetary.