Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Android Wishlist: Locale + Calendar Integration

Apparently, other people have exactly the same pet peeves that I do.

Can't blame them for not doing the job exactly the same way I would've done - they've already done much more than I cared and/or had time to, but can't resist (being the <censored>-retentive nitpicker that I am) from an observation: why do I have to create timed conditions via Locale specific UI and storage, when there's a tool perfected to do just that: the calendar.

The calendar is available through its API.

Calendar gadgets, last time I checked, were on per-day granularity, but still, one can use the API to create events that external tools (like Locale) can work with. Or, push the Calendar guys to create per-event gadgets - Google is known to be flexible in admitting their shortcomings. This may already exist on be in the works, for all I know.

Locale project does advertise "3rd party developer platform", so doing it may be a straightforward task, but the promise is yet to materialize - Locale doesn't look like an Open Source project. There's something funny about it - for example, I wouldn't imagine the Top Ten project team to allow the site to talk about Android release in the future tense a week after it's actually happened...

1 comment:

  1. I am one of the developers of Locale.

    The public beta of Locale does indeed support integration with Google calendar, which is even evident in the screenshots on our website.

    If you have further questions about the features of Locale, please contact us, and we'll be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete