Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oh Gawd, Not This, Please

There is an idea in the air - send more spam to fight spam. And, lo and behold, the same day I get a message with a subject "From Hackers With Love", which begins with
With Valentine’s Day looming, don't be fooled by one of many online scams!

I don’t know about you but I’m not a big fan of Valentine’s. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve been known to get romantic – but I much rather celebrate a day which is special for me and my partner than get caught up in the commercial hype , especially when there is no in between. On the 14th of February you are either in or you’re out.
and then goes on with a longish text about fraud protection, and concludes with
  1. Be wary of any e-mail received from an unknown sender and do not click on any links provided.
  2. Run up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware software with behavioural protection – such as Spyware Doctor with AntiVirus.
  3. Ensure your software is up-to-date and run Smart Updates regularly.
  4. Keep the programs running in the background at all times.
  5. Use common sense.

Yep. it's the Good Spam™.

Yeah, it's all good and nice, except for two things:
  • My mailbox already receives about 600 (yes, six hundred) spam mails a day, and that is after it's been rigorously checked with Google Apps engine;
  • New kind of spam does, in fact, not get caught by the spamtrap, because it is, in fact, a different kind of message;
So now not only I have to wade through the spam box (for, unfortunately, there are false positives, more often than I wish there were), but have to read each Good Spam™ message and figure out whether it is Good Spam™ or the usual spam. And I don't think I can afford to mark it as spam - for the reason above, the patterns are different and there is no guarantee that it will not skew the spam engine heuristics, and ALL my mail starts being sent to the spam folder.

I sincerely wish that we don't get into a situation where because of one idiot who tried to set his shoelaces on fire, all of us have to take off the shoes now...

No comments:

Post a Comment